3. Repeat Dispensing
Following national recommendations, work continues across the county to increase prescribing using electronic repeat dispensing (eRD). eRD is recommended by the NHS and has been encouraged during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Therefore, please review your processes and training on eRD to ensure all of your team are aware of their responsibilities.
- Are you confident that every time a repeat dispensing prescription is handed out the right questions are being asked?
- Are patients told if they are nearing end of batch, and what process do you have to identify this on hand out?
- Does everyone that hands out prescriptions know about the processes?
- How will you make sure this happens (e.g. using notes/stickers etc.)?
- What about delivery patients ? Do you have a telephone conversation ?
- Do you know which of your local practices are offering eRD ? Can you work together to promote eRD ?
- Don’t clear uncollected eRD off shelf without checking when they last had medication, speaking to patient and be aware when required medications on eRD may not be needed for a few weeks . Some GP surgeries initiate patients on eRD during their annual review. This may be a few weeks before the patient is due to collect their next prescription (only some GP systems allow for the first eRD in batch to be post-dated).
It is essential that staff handing out prescriptions are aware of the discussion they need to have with patients; belwo is a document which may support you and your team:
A reminder of the key points of eRD
Repeat Dispensing is an Essential Service and is part of NHS Community Pharmacy Contractual Framework
Payment is included in single activity fee
Requirements of eRD:-
- Pharmacists should undertake ‘’appropriate training’’ e.g. that provided by CPPE
- Pharmacies must ensure appropriate advice about benefits of Repeat Dispensing is given to any patient with a long term stable condition requiring regular medication.
- Pharmacies must ask the patient/carer the 4 questions every time they dispense repeat prescriptions and tell them to contact their GP Practice when dispense last in batch (including delivery patients/housebound).
- Pharmacies must inform the prescriber of any clinically significant issues and maintain records.
Links to training and resources
- Electronic Repeat Dispensing (eRD): An overview